Monday 4 November 2013

Napvember Post One - Rifleman

If anyone is keeping track, they may well have noticed that I promised a painted model for Saturday, and then haven't posted until Monday.

Real life got in the way I'm afraid! I spent most of Saturday on a succession of DIY jobs, so my painting had to take a back seat. Anyway, enough excuses, here is the first painted model!
One model painted! We're off!
As you know doubt guessed it would be from the title of this post, the model is a rifleman, specifically one of the Perry plastics.
Start telling me the buttons are the wrong colour now!

I've decided not to try to match any particular division with my collection at this stage. I did toy with the idea, but quickly realised that worrying about this stuff too much was going to cause even more paralysis in my painting than I had already, so changed my mind and will now go for whatever units I most like the look of until I have something approximating an army. If anyone points out that the resulting force doesn't match anything that actually fought, I'll deal with that by running away and hiding somewhere.
This slightly different angle is extremely worthwhile.

So, with that in mind, I chose to paint my rifles as the 95th, probably the most famous British napoleonic unit, with a fighting strength of something like twelve million men if you go by the number that wargamers have painted.
I even painted the back!

So what's next? Well, this was kind of a test model, so I'm hoping I can get the rest of my rifles painted quite quickly and then move onto something else. I only have eight in total at the moment, so it's a bit less impressive that you might think, but better than nothing. Watch this space, with bated breath, to find out whether I manage it!

7 comments:

  1. You only need about six Riflemen anyway. I saw a documentary about a chap called Sharpe, and his unit was only half a dozen or so...

    Well done on getting started.

    ReplyDelete
  2. His buttons are the wrong colour...

    ReplyDelete
  3. shouldn't he have stubble. Or did he always carry a razor?

    ReplyDelete
  4. He looks good, keep painting. I didn't even notice his buttons. Paint them how you like.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm pretty sure this guy was left handed as well...

    ReplyDelete