Friday 3 January 2020

Finally Returning to the Blog

Errr... hi.

Yeah, it's been months. But I've come back, yet again, so here it is - another new year, and another attempt at self-justification as I realise I failed to achieve what I was trying for.

Anyway, I'm getting ahead of myself.

First, here's a series of things I've painted since I last managed to get myself sufficiently organised to post here.

Starting with...




Post-apocalyptic cultists!

I really like these models - they're from Crooked Dice, and I got them as part of the 7TV Apocalypse kickstarter. The detail on them is great, which made them very easy to paint. I've gone for greens and browns on them so that I have the option of using them as Nurgle cultists for my vaguely planned 40K 7TV adventure at some point.

Next, it's...

Probably going to be used as a panzerschreck...

Last Levy Germans! 

I had these on the painting table from the 7TV games day - I'd had the idea that some of them could work for Pulp, then did other things anyway. But they were still sat there, and it was easier to paint them than to find something else, so here they are. 

There's the multiple rocket launcher thingy above, then the "shooty round corners" krummlauf:

Probably use this as a sniper or something...

It can shoot this way too!

Then a couple of Volkssturm for good measure:


It's not easy to see in the picture, but the one on the left is in a firefighter's uniform.

Clearly, inspired leadership will be needed here, so let's throw in an officer for good measure!


A nice model, and I'm actually fairly happy with my paint job on him, so it's a shame that for some reason I couldn't manage a decent photo. 

Last among the defenders of Berlin are the Hitler Youth:

Sometimes a miracle occurs and I manage a photo you can actually see


Always good to have a unit I can feel guilty about any time it takes to the table. Possibly the worst part there is that the Bolt Action rules only let the NCO have an SMG, so the little guy in a sort of scout uniform must be the NCO... ugh. I have a vague idea that these might also work as some sort of pulp kids... thing as well. 

Anyway, moving on...


It's Terminator time again. Black Friday threw up a few Terminator models for dirt cheap at Wayland Games, so I grabbed what I could. So there's the T-1000 you see above...


...and John Connor, leader of the worldwide resistance, and last best hope of humankind. These are actually pretty nice resin casts, so it's a shame that my painting has done them no favours whatsoever.

I also got Arnie on a bike, but I've yet to do anything with him.


While I was at it I also painted a resistance soldier with a grenade launcher - he'd been sitting in my paint station for months for some reason, so it was nice to get him finished off.

I've also managed to paint a random apocalypse survivor that was hanging around my paints as well, but for some reason I've failed to get a picture of her. 

I also thought I'd already blogged about the tyre barricades and ammo boxes I painted a few months ago, but I can't find any evidence of that - you'll have to take my word for it.

So, I've basically lost track of where I've got to since I've been failing to post here for such a long time, but let's try to figure it out.

*counts on fingers*

*takes off socks*

Right.

I think this is what I've ended up with:

Acquired: 164
Painted: 81

That's... not great. I mainly blame Fortnite - my son got obsessed with it over the summer and I was forced (forced I tell you) to spend most of my free time playing that in order to win him stuff rather than paint things.

Also, I really do want to get better at posting on here (as I said a year ago!). I think I need to come up with a way of taking decent photos at the point when I finish painting, and then get a post up sharpish while I can still remember what I've done. 

Will any of that actually happen? Probably not, but it's good to have goals, or something.

Happy New Year!

6 comments:

  1. Is the 'they shall rise' placard a reference to the blog coming back from the dead?

    All good stuff. Did you have those Hitker Youth done when we played, or have you done more?

    Also, I find taking pictures outside provides the best lighting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a generic invocation that could refer to daemons, zombies, or giant ants!

      I had the Hitler Youth before. You assaulted them because you're an awful person.

      Delete
  2. Glad to have some company in the 'tough hobby year didn't hit my goals' camp. Certainly pictures are pretty key to having posts you enjoy writing (and more pics mean less words usually).
    Is your cel phone not up to it? Or are you having trouble getting quality shots? Lighting is often the challenge...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's lighting - usually dark when I can do anything and I don't have good enough lights for decent photos. I need to figure something out!

      Delete
  3. Off to a cracking start this year!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Goals shmoals, I tend to view mine as a bonus if I hit them rather than a target to aim for!

    ReplyDelete