Sunday 21 June 2020

Sci-Finally

The lockdown continues, in-person gaming is suspended, and I finished my secret Japanese project recently. This left me at something of a loss, in the mood to do some painting, but not quite mentally ready to start the next big queue.

The result was that things went a bit random, so here we go. I kicked off with...

Remember, Genisys is Skynet! Also, none
of this will matter when the next film starts.

Kyle Reese from Terminator Genisys! This is the metal "freebie" from the miniatures game box.

Since I still have the board game to go at I also have a less-well-cast plastic version of the same model to do as well, and I'm probably insane enough to actually paint that even though I have a better version of the same thing already done.

Anyway. It's a nice model and a fairly good likeness of Jai "clearly too beefy to be Kyle Rees" Courtney, which has been slightly lost under my ham-fisted painting. But he's done, he'll turn up on the table occasionally, and he's been sat in the paint station for ages so it's nice to have him done.

One thing I did find odd about this is that the base is part of the casting. Which is such a simple idea that I wonder why it's the first time I've seen it since some Lord of the Rings models I had about 30 years ago. I'm sure there's a reason. Anyway.

Next, I went for...

Stompy, stompy, slashy stabby
Some Shaltari Firstborn!

These were a secret Santa gift from Pete, I think from 2018? It might even have been 2017. They're part of a big pile of Shaltari stuff for Dropzone and Dropfleet that I never seem to quite get around to. I'm not actually sure how effective these will be in the game, as they are very close range fighters and getting anything close enough to the enemy to attempt that sort of thing has always resulted in lots of gates being destroyed. Still, got to be worth a try, and at least it adds variety to the process of losing.

And finally, these...

Dug in like an Alabama tic

Wait, they seem to have changed colours, like a chameleon, using the jungle. They're always doing that. I'll try again...
Not sure about the spear things to be honest
There we go. These are a set of Predators "Alien Hunters" from Copplestone Castings. I'm pretty certain I've had these for at least 10 years, and it might actually be more like 12. I honestly couldn't say why I suddenly rooted these out, but I went at them with contrast paints and I'm pretty happy with the result. 

No immediate plans for these really, but at some point I'm sure they'll turn up in a 7TV cast or something.

Right then, pictures displayed, time for everyone's favourite part, admin! Let's see what all that has done to the all-important numbers...

Painted: 90
Acquired: 77

So that's looking good, but I have just ordered some more so I need to keep at it if I'm going to stay on track. I'm sure you'll be able to watch me attempt that here, so you can look forward to that.

2 comments:

  1. Love those non-Predators, brilliant job.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks very much! Really happy with them, and the contrast paints meant they were really quick to do. I'm going to become a real bore about contrast paints on here, I can tell...

    ReplyDelete