Friday 27 October 2017

Zomtober Part 5 - the Big Reveal

Well here we are, the end of October, and with it the fifth and final week of this year’s Zomtober.

This means that, first of all, I need to post a zombie or survivor for the week. Here we go:

Muuuuuuuurrrrrr...andatory

It’s another zombie, one that I’ll admit I rushed, but it’s good to get a model off the enormous pile of unpainted models I own. The photo hasn’t come out very well for some reason, but he’s lost all the skin from his face, which is a nice gory detail for a zombie.

Anyway, with that out of the way I can move on to the main event, my somewhat over-hyped secret project. It turns out that it’s this:

Home sweet home

 A post-apocalyptic outpost, made from a toy caravan!

 I’d been planning to do something with the toy caravan for a while, and the idea hit me that might it would make a nice post-apoc terrain piece. I’ve tried to be fairly agnostic about what type of apocalypse this fits into, so hopefully I could use this for Terminator as well as zombie games.

Ideal for the young professional wanting to start out on their own and avoid being dragged off by cannibals.

So, some details. The inspiration for this is kind of a combination of a location in Fallout: New Vegas (a ranger station made of caravans) and the image of Andrea standing guard on top of Dale’s RV in the Walking Dead.

 My thinking is that this is someone’s hideout. They’ve wheeled it into position amongst some jersey barriers for some extra protection, and welded on whatever bits of junk they can find to block the windows and make things a bit less exposed.

Rusty corrugated iron always adds a touch of class

On the roof, there’s a sniper nest - a chair, a table (which I’m particularly pleased with - it’s a warhammer goblin shield with some legs made from offcuts of MDF and looks a lot like rattan garden furniture) and a bucket (from an old model train kit I’ve had for decades) for... sanitary purposes. There’s also a mattress in case things get bad enough that the roof is a better option than sleeping inside.

Great facilities for al fresco dining

The roof is accessed by a fencing section propped up as a ladder, and protected with barbed wire, which was a bugger to paint.




Overall I’m pleased with the result here, and I might be tempted to add a few more bits to it in the future. I think it’s versatile enough that it might make it to the table more than once, too.

All that said, I think it can sensibly only count as one model for accounting purposes, so doesn’t have a massive impact on my totals...

Painted: 161
Acquired: 160

Woo hoo! I’m back to a positive score! Admittedly I could have painted one model on the first of January to get to the same point, but still!

16 comments:

  1. Well, I have to say that I’m impressed, and I vaguely remember you saying something about it a while back.

    For accounting purposes I think you can be a bit more optimistic. The caravan might be one model, but the chair came as a single piece from Ainsty (counts as one), so therefore the table counts too. The mattress was technically separate from the caravan, along with the Jersey barriers.

    By my reckoning you could count it as at least six.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I'm pleased with it and likely to do more things like it.

      As ever, part of my consideration is "what will most upset Pete?", and I think being slightly inconsistent will score some points there.

      Delete
  2. Great post to end the challenge, and an idea I'm just going to HAVE to steal with the caravan!
    I picked up several from charity shops thinking I'd only use them in the early stages of the apocalypse - this gives 'em a whole new lease of life!
    Fantastic idea and brilliantly done :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'd already decided I wanted to make the caravan into some sort of "building" when I first got it - from there things have sort of escalated...

      Delete
  3. What a way to finish! Fabulous modelling and painting.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Caravan outpost looks great!
    And yes, admittedly 1 mini painted in January would put you in the black, it's always much more impressive clawing your way back there!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's worse than that, I've bought another model today! But thanks :)

      Delete
  5. Terrific conclusion to Zomtober, and an awesome terrain/scenery project too. Absolutely love it!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. A big project and nice work.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks great dude. I usually count terrain pieces according to their size as I try and keep a tally each year of my out put.

    That one I would count between 5 and 10 purely on number different items it contains.

    Great job on the zombie as well dude.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I think for next year a slightly more nuanced scoring system might be in order. For now though, I think this has caused me to get more things done than I might have otherwise, so that's good.

      Delete
  8. The Zombie looks good but the caravan is especially cool -well done with both and well done on your Zomtober painting. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. that caravan is great. not sure if I would trust it in the event of a zombie attack.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I don't think it's a good long-term home for anyone! If you have friends nearby it might see you through for long enough to be rescued, but I think that's the best you could hope for from this...

      Delete